Re: stupid question for help: why two FC4 packages have same files without confliction??

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:

 I'm playing with FC4 toy now and have a stupid
question: normally any two different packages can not
share a regular file otherwise there will be a
confliction, but why these two packages xorg-x11-libs.x86_64 and xorg-x11-libs.i386 can have
same files?

It is certainly possible for 2 packages to share the same file(s), but it's tricky, and, in general, is easier to simply avoid if possible.

Off the top of my head, I know of at least 2 ways for multiple packages to "share" ownership of the same file:
1.  If the specfile marked the file with the %ghost attribute
2. If the "shared" file in question is exactly the same(*) in both packages.

(*) Exactly the same -> identical contents, timestamp, checksums