Re: rpm cannot be installed

Paul Smith wrote:
> Thanks, Colin. It is strange that I have two rc files:
>
> # locate checkinstallrc
> /usr/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc~
> /usr/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc
> /usr/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc-dist
> /usr/local/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc~
> /usr/local/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc

Jeff Vian explained that some "would likely have been installed by an
rpm," and some "likely installed by compiling."

Paul replied:
> I have no remembrance of having ever compiling checkinstall. I suspect
> that yum may have incorrectly removed older versions of checkinstall.

Well, there's always

rpm -qf /usr/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc \
/usr/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc-dist \
/usr/local/lib/checkinstall/checkinstallrc

(the \ has to come right at the end of the line)
to see whether they come from RPMS and, if so, which.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Beneath this stone lies Murphy,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | They buried him today,