Re: Cannot use fourth IDE HDD with FC3 ?

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 18:25 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> If a drive is attached to the end connection of a CS cable (black
> connector) it must be jumpered to master or CS.  Similarly if
> connected to the middle connector (usually grey) if must be jumpered
> to slave or CS.

No, that's not correct.  You're oversimplifying the conditions of what
must be done in combination.

If you jumper your drives as master and slave, it doesn't matter where
they're plugged in.  The cable will be ignored by all but broken hard
drives.

If you jumper them both as cable select, the cable determines which is
which (master on the end, normally).

It is highly inadvisable to jumper one drive as master or slave and the
other as cable select, and that's the only time you're going to have to
worry about what position on the cable the master or slave jumpered
drive is placed.

There is about only thing you do have to do with an 80-wire cable, and
that's plug the motherboard end in at the motherboard.  It's only at
that end that the interspersed ground wires (the extra 40 ones) are
grounded.

I read messages from the public lists.