Re: cups sucks me

Well, I had similar problems getting cups to serve up to my local
network, what I found was the cupsd.conf file says that certain
defaults exist to serve a local network, and according to the
documentation in the conf file those defaults should allow local
machines to print to it.

What I discovered was having to manually set the defaults to make it
work, I think the redhat/fedora developers tell it not to share on the
network for security reasons, but fail to adjust the documentation to
match their build configuration.

Take the following for example:

########
######## Network Options
########
#
# Ports/addresses that we listen to.  The default port 631 is reserved
# for the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) and is what we use here.
#
# You can have multiple Port/Listen lines to listen to more than one
# port or address, or to restrict access:
#
#    Port 80
#    Port 631
#    Listen hostname
#    Listen hostname:80
#    Listen hostname:631
#    Listen 1.2.3.4
#    Listen 1.2.3.4:631
According to the above statement the system should allow connection on
port 631, but if I do not add the following two lines I cannot print
to this host.

Listen localhost
Listen 192.168.0.70:631

Go through and check the configuration file.

John

--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org