Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 187

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 13:11 -0500, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:02:00 -0500
> From: beartooth <beartooth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Faint hope : new printer drivers in FC5?
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Fool that I was, I bought a printer on someone's recommendation, without
> thinking to check whether it worked with linux. It's a Lexmark X1185 --
> which didn't then, and still doesn't afaict: linuxprinting finds no driver
> for it.
>
> So will there be any new printer drivers in FC5 that are not yet generally
> available on linuxprinting? If so, is there a list I can check mine
> against?
>
> Fwiw, I've been running an XP machine, just for topo maps and GPS stuff;
> but it's beginning to look like CrossoverOffice 5.0 (CXO) will be able to
> handle at least the most important (to me) of the proprietary suites of
> GPS/topo software that I have, Maptech and Garmin. But, I'm told on the
> CXO list, neither wine nor CXO can handle any printer that linux can't
> already run.
>
> So, if I take to running a clean OS on what is now the XP machine, will
> that mean I have one more bulky paperweight sitting around? Or is there
> hope with FC5 once I update to that?
>

> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
> FC4; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;
> Dillo 0.8.5, Opera 8.51, Firefox 1.0.7, Epiphany 1.6.5
> Remember I have little idea what I am talking about.

We bought a Lexmark All-In-One type printer a while back, but had to
take it back. The only way it would give some limited functionality was
by using the supplied driver on a M$ XP Pro machine, and even then, the
poor crippled thing could not accept print requests from any but the
host machine.

PC World (the suppliers) accepted the printer without question when I
explained the problem, so they must be aware of it.

--
Peter Blake
<peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>