Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2

On 20 Feb 2006 at 23:33, Paul Howarth wrote:

From:           	Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:33:02 +0000
Subject:        	Re: Moving LVM partition from /dev/hda2 to /dev/sda2
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 17:40 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> >
> > I copied an IDE drive that is reporting bad blocks to a SATA drive.
> > When booting from the SATA drive, it doesn't see the LVM, but If I boot from
> > the FC 4 DVD, and run linux rescue, I can assess the drive, with no errors.
> > I'm thinking that something in the boot process is pointing to /dev/hda2,
> > instead of the /dev/sda2. I've looked at the lvm commands, but haven't found
> > the command that might be able to change this.
> >
> > I could just rebuild this on the SATA drive, but also work on the G4L project
> > (Ghost for Linux), and could see others trying to upgrade systems to SATA
> > drives, and if it is possible, would like to add the instructions.
>
> Does your SATA drive need some driver module to be loaded?
> This might come from the ramdisk in rescue mode (and hence work), whilst
> not being present in the ramdisk created at kernel install time for the
> regular IDE drive (and hence not work). A possibility perhaps.

I can mount the other partitions from old drive. So, I don't think it needs any
special driver. I can mount /dev/sda1 to /boot2, which is the boot partition,
and I formated the extra space on the drive as /dev/sda3 as /data.

When I remove the old drive, and boot from the SATA drive it gets to the
grub menu, and seems to load the kernel, but then doesn't find the LVM
partition.

When I run lvm command after booting from the old drive, one of the
commands will list the duplicate volumes found, and also that the one is
using /dev/sda2 instead of /dev/hda2.

One comment I got said it might be using something other than hd0 for the
SATA drive, but it also might be that the LVM volumn has something in it
that links it to /dev/hda2.

Thanks for the info.

> Paul.
>
> --