Re: Best practice for bulk data transfer

Andrew wrote:
I just need to transfer a couple hundred thousand files off a **REALLY**
slow server to a faster server and to be able to document that file x on
slow server is identical to file x on faster server. It is not a forensics
problem per se -- but I do need to prove/document the process -- so I'm
thinking md5sums.

/** begin simplification **/

Procedure 1: The slow option

[slow server] calc md5sums > list && nc list > faster_server
[slow server] rsync files to faster@server over a 10T crossover cable
[faster server] check md5sums against list

This is the option I'd use.
Umm, in the amount of time we've been discussing this, you could
have already transferred the files this way, I suppose.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.