Re: Bocking IP's rather than Email domains

Gene Heskett writes:

And, it is.

Oh fudge. That explains it all.
Questions:
Is sourceforge outgrowing its hardware?

Or is it that badly miss-configured?

Sourceforge is attempting to get the upper hand on their bandwidth by throttling file downloads off the project web servers. Sourceforge wants people to distribute the project files through their mirrored FTP plant, for which they don't have to provide much bandwidth (compared to their web server plant for which they have to provide all of the bandwidth).

That works fine for official, relatively infrequent, releases. But the FTP file release system is just too much rigamarole for relatively more frequent source snapshots; where all you want is just to throw some files out there.

Fortunately, I already had my own bittorrent distribution system going; and I just turned off the direct file links.