Re: [OT] The GPL and possible violations

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 14:30 -0800, jdow wrote:
>> Another troll. This list is turning pretty sour - again.
>
> This is NOT a troll.

Right - this is a serious issue.  I am working on an Embedded Linux
device and would be in Linksys' position.  As it happened for technical
reasons our driver will only work when compiled into the actual kernel
tree, so we were left with no real choice but to GPL the source.  But
certainly there would otherwise have been a raging argument as to
whether we should have tried to keep the module binary-only.

I am sat here in front of the nVidia binary running my displays.  I have
two 54Mbps WiFi cards I can't use because they only have Windows binary
drivers and I don't want to use ndiswrapper.

One way or another if there is an attack on Linksys that's something we
will all be feeling the ramifications of for good and/or ill.

-Andy