RE: freeing the prompt

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 14:30, azeem ahmad wrote:

> > > the & doesnt seem to work with a scrip
> > > when i run
> > > ./dicom -v & it works in its ordinary manner and captures the prompt :(
> >
> >It is still reading input from the terminal connection it inherited
> >and will send output and errors there. You need to redirect
> >stdin, stdout, and stderr from/to appropriate places if you
> >don't want that.  You might also want to run it with
> >'nohup' so that signals are ignored and it keeps running
> >if you disconnect.
> >
> >--
>
> the problem is that i have to execute this script on a remote server so if i
> exec it in such way and then close my connection, most probably the script
> will be closed too

That's the point of using nohup.  If you
nohup ./dicom -v &
it will dump your stdout and stderr into a file named
nohup.out if they are still attached to the terminal
and trap the signal from the disconnect so it will keep
running.   If the program reads any input you'll have
to redirect from a suitable file.

You might also look at 'screen' which will allow you
to disconnect and reconnect with console programs still
running, or vncserver which can do the same for X.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx