Re: Grub config file editing

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 18:48 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Can I only boot from options in the menu?

No, you can boot from temporary changes held in memory.

> If I _know_ that I want to boot from hdb8 or from (1,8) can I do it
> from grub

Yes you can.  Just go into the edit mode for the menu, make changes as
necessary to the options GRUB will use to boot with, and boot.  What
you've just changed only applies for the current session, you haven't
changed what's in the GRUB configuration file.  If you want to make your
changes permanent, you will have to edit the file directly.  Do that
after you've booted up successfully.

Suggestion:  Make your modifications as a new item in the GRUB menus,
keeping what's already there, until you're sure that everything is
working fine.

I read messages from the public lists.