Re: Slightly OT

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 08:56, Claude Jones wrote:
> > I know I can run Linux under VMWare for Windows, but can I run WinXP
> > under Linux?  What products are available?  Any FC4 rpms that woould fit
> > the bill?

> If you just want to open a VM under Linux, there's the vmwareplayer, a free
> download. I've got it running on both my FC4 boxes, and the one VM I use is
> WinXP, created on a WinXP workstation running VMWare - it works well.

The catch is that you can't create a new virtual machine with the
free player, although you can get a 30-day demo of workstation,
create some, and continue to run them with player after the demo
expires if you don't need the extra workstation features enough
to buy it.  The new server version released in beta may include
the ability to create machines too - I haven't had time to try
it yet.  But the player is a great thing to have around and
nice to try out new versions of OS's and applications that
people are packaging at http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/vm/community.html.

If you've ever thought about trying to install or test something
but held back because you were afraid you'd screw up your
machine, this is the solution.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx