Re: [OT] The GPL and possible violations

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 14:23 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
>
> >> in source and GPL'd that connects to the kernel interface
>
> > FWIW nVidia and vmware at least do do this.  There is a technical
>
> Whoops... kind of missed the key point there.... they provide sources to
> compile but not under a free license.  Sorry about that.
I don't know about vmware, but Nvidia doesn't.

They provide a wrapper's sources, but the core of their work is binary
only. It's basically the "sdk/link-kit" approach they apply, a pretty
common way to avoid restrictions of OpenSource licenses.

The distributor ships binaries, but leaves final linking and compiling
of the "glue" code to the end user.

Ralf