Re: New FC4 install will not boot -

Charles Curley wrote:

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:12:48AM -0500, bobgoodwin wrote:
I had trouble installing until I entered "linux text" and then things seemed to go to the very end without a hitch. Then an error message flashed on the screen but was gone before I could read and copy it?

TThe video board giving me trouble is apparently similar, a "Trident Blade 3D."

Is there anyway I can correct this problem without installing FC3?

Possibly the problem has been repaired with subsequent updates. Try
booting to run level 3 (no X), and apply all the updates.

To boot to run level 3, append " 3" to the command line (the one that
starts "kernel") in grub.

<rant>This sort of occasional OOPs is why on initial installations I
set the system to boot to run level 3 rather than 5. I leave it that
way for a while until I am satisfied that everything works
correctly. It is also why I make sure I can log in to each of my
machines via SSH.</rant>
Yes, I did that and changed inittab so that it boots in level 3, which I prefer anyway, and that works but it still leaves me with no X. In this rural area the only service available is dial-up which is a handicap in doing large updates, and there is no modem in that computer. I can transfer stuff from this one via sftp if I can find the required files. I guess what I was hoping for was that someone would know where I can get the files. If not I will repartition and put FC-3 in there also but it seems like a lot of wasted effort, there ought to be another way?

Thanks.

BobG