Alsactl and FC4 bootup conflict

Yesterday I solved the problem of missing sound on this workstation and stored
the settings (Audigy 1 soundcard).  I put 'alsactl restore'
into /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  This morning when I booted up there was no sound.

Running alsamixer showed that the settings had been restored.  I ran
system-config-soundcard and found that I could only get white noise and a
faint sound - which was where I started from yesterday.  Experimentation
quickly found that one setting, Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack, was being
switched on every time I ran the test sound.  It must be off, for sound to
work properly.

I suspect that what is happening at boot-time is that alsactl is being
restored, but then Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack is being switched back
on when the start-up sound should occur.  I don't know whether this is a FC
problem or a KDE one.

If I can't solve it, I can live with it, now that I know what's happening, but
has anyone any ideas for a better solution?

Anne