Re: Storing alsa settings

On Thursday 16 February 2006 02:17, Rickey Moore wrote:
> --- oldman <talbotscott@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >I used to do 'alsactrl store' to save my settings, then 'alsactrl
> >
> > restore'
> >
> > >in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Now ,it seems, alsactrl is no longer a
> >
> > recognised
> >
> > >command.  Anyone know what has replaced it?
> > >
> > >Anne
> >
> >     Ensure package alsa-libs is installed then the command alsaclt
> > (no
> > r) should do it for you.
>
> Poking around in /etc and looking at the alsa config files, there are
> all kinds of 'options' (for lack of a better word) front/back/ front
> right / back left ...all kinds of arrangements of sound cards and
> speaker setups. Just how do you get to configure this? Is there a gui
> for that purpose? I have two sound cards that I wish to use in a
> surround setup, do you have any information on this? Thanx, Ric

I took this sort of problem to the alsa list 2 years ago, so my comments here
are from my experience (and the same procedure has just fixed my alsa
problems on this box).

Run alsamixer from a user console.  Play around with the settings there - I
can't tell you which ones, because it varies according to the soundcard.
Mine is an Audigy 1.  On mine, the crucial setting is 'Audigy Analog/Digital
Output Jack [Off] '.

When you can play the sounds in /usr/share/sounds/ correctly, do
alsactl store

You also need a restore command in your startup file.

BUT - there is a problem here.  I found that if you run
system-config-soundcard, running the test-sound switches the Audigy
Analog/Digital Output Jack back on.  When I booted this morning the settings
had been restored but I had no sound.  Switching it back off has brought
things back to a working state.

HTH

Anne