optimesing NFS Server for e.g. remote Backup

Hi,

I have some RHEL4 servers and want to set up a central backup system with a "big" harddisk. I found a very nice shell-script, doing incremental backups using tar.

So I thougt, I'll mount the Backupserver-shares by NFS on the "client"-servers and run the backupscript by cron so the servers write there backupdata to the nfs shares.

My problem:
The tests I made where almost fine, but from time to time I do get errors:

/bin/tar: /export/backup02/shares-Wed.tar: Cannot open: Input/output error
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Any ideas what coul be wrong? The Backups are about 10 GB +- up to 100 GB in the future.

The second Question: Which NFS/mount/export optimisation settings are recomendet? (e.g. NFS Version, buffers...)

Thanks a lot for any hints and tips!

Regards

Götz Reinicke
--