Gpg-agent problem - not recognised?

I'm having problems getting gpg-agent to work on this box.  I've checked all
the obvious things - settings in kmail, gpg.conf and gpg-agent.conf, and
can't find the problem.  I've gone back through all my notes about getting it
running before, and nothing gives me a clue.  This is what I see:

The use of GnuPG Agent is enabled in GnuPG's configuration file
(/home/anne/.gnupg/gpg.conf).
However, the agent does not seem to be running. This could result in problems
with signing/decryption.
Please disable GnuPG Agent from KGpg settings, or fix the agent.

ps -edalf | grep gpg-agent
0 R root      5129  5096  0  75   0 -   940 -      10:43 pts/3    00:00:00
grep gpg-agent

It appears that gpg-agent is indeed running, but kmail is not recognising it.
I've checked the path in the config files, and it appears to be correct.  The
only thing left seems to be permissions, but the config files are in my home
directory and owned by me.  Gpg-agent is provided by kdebase-common, so that
shouldn't be a problem.

Signing and encrypting with gpg work fine - it's the gpg-agent bit that
doesn't.

I'm stuck for ideas now.  Any suggestions?

Anne