Re: Sendmail Smart Relay Configuring

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Di, den 14.02.2006 schrieb Lovell Mcilwain um 4:50:

How do you try to generate the .cf files? Simply run

make -C /etc/mail

(just to see if there are any errors/complaints)

Output:
make: Entering directory `/etc/mail'
make: Leaving directory `/etc/mail'

sendmail.cf did have content in it this time.

then

service sendmail restart

I restarted the service:

Shutting down sendmail:                                    [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client:                                   [FAILED]

The submission agent wasn't running.

Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client:                                        [  OK  ]

I didn't get any complaints.

[user@FC4FW share]$  m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

Not the correct command syntax.

You omitted the ">".

This was the syntax I was told to use to append changes to my .cf file.
If this isn't right what do I use? I had no clue about the previous
command you gave me to generate the sendmail.cf file correctly.

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

Better use the make command (which makes use of the Makefile inside
/etc/mail) and catches more than just the .mc file changes, too the
hashed map files.

Alexander

So after your help with getting me started initially.  I found another FAQ (http://www.cri.ch/linux/docs/sk0009.html) that gave me a step by step of how to set up smtp relay for sendmail.

The additional steps I took were as follows:

Added the following to the sendmail.mc file:
define(`SMART_HOST', `your-smtp-server')
FEATURE(authinfo)dnl

define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')
define(`ESMTP_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')

Updated the sendmail.cf file
m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

Defined my account info in the AuthInfo file:
AuthInfo:<your-smtp-server> "U:<your-smtp-user>" "P:<your-smtp-password>" "M:DIGEST-MD5"
Im not sure if the "M:" is correct since the server that I would be logging into would be over TLS port 587 and usually just does a login challenge and nothing more.  I don't know if I just need to specify login.

Updated the authinfo.db file
makemap hash /etc/mail/authinfo < /etc/mail/authinfo

Created a userdb for header rewriting
user:mailname foo@xxxxxxx
Created the userdb.db file
makemap btree /etc/mail/userdb.db < /etc/mail/userdb

Sendmail, Tested, and got the following output:
[root@FC4FW mail]# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bv root@localhost
root@xxxxxxxxxxxx deliverable: mailer local, user root

[root@FC4FW mail]# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bv lovell.mcilwain@xxxxxxxxx
lovell.mcilwain@xxxxxxxxx... deliverable: mailer relay, host foo.barr.com, user user@xxxxxxx

This would leave me to belive that this was successful from what I see in the output. But then I take a look at /var/log/maillog and find the following:

Feb 14 18:37:04 localhost sendmail[12272]: k1EEWlrh009414: to=<lovell.mcilwain@xxxxxxxxx>, ctladdr=<root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (0/0), delay=09:04:17, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay, pri=945174, relay=foo.bar.com [11.222.333.444], dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable
Feb 14 18:37:04 localhost sendmail[12272]: k1EEWlrh009414: k1ENb3vE012272: sender notify: Service unavailable

I thought the tutorial has gotten me closer to where I wanted to be but can anyone else tell me what else Im missing to get this to work properly?  The things I noticed off the top of my head were:

1.The authentication method is wrong but I can't see any documentation that states that the entry "M:login" will work.
2. It still looks like the return mail is showing as root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx when I thought the usersdb.db file was supposed to take care of this.  Did I need to restart sendmail or re run the m4 command to update that there is now a usersdb.db in existance?

3. Could this be an issue of not specifying the port number correctly for sendmail to talk with the relay server properly?

I know this mail was a bit lengthy but any help is appreciated :)