Re: DVD Playback under Fedora Core 4

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 13 February 2006 17:26, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 00:36:40 +0200,

 Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It can never even start playing a DVD movie because there is
no URI or URL or something like that to handle "dvd://" well
actually it is /dev/hdc but anyway

The device specification is different than the device type. You shouldn't
have to specify the device unless you have more than one dvd player.
If you don't tell it you are playing a DVD then things don't work
correctly. My memory is that the CSS keys don't get extracted from the DVD
and you end up seeing scrambled video. But its been over a month since I
last played with xine, so i may not have remembered things completely
correctly.

I suspect that the message seen concerned the MRL, not URL.

There is a reference to an MRL too.

It looks suspiciously like the message you get if you try to play an encrypted DVD on
xine without the css package

Well that is really interesting . Well my Fedora Core 4 installation of xine is able of playing encrypted DVDs , my Fedora Core 1 isn't , i suspect a crypled installation
on Fedora Core 1 though .

 - IIRC it's something like libdvd-css.
ibdvdcss.a
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          812 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.la
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so -> libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so.2 -> libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          65K Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so.2.0.8

Do you mean something like the above entries

( It comes from my Fedora Core 4 installation , it's part of the /usr/lib directory )

I'm not  sure where you can get the Fedora    package, though.

First choice , the source
Second choice , the nearest Fedora Core Repository .

Thanks for the information .

Anne

Kostas