Re: Desperate situation

On Monday 13 February 2006 12:36 pm, Mike McCarty wrote:
> This is a little strongly stated, but the advice is good.
> The only slaves I have on my machines, when I can avoid it, is slow
> devices which are rarely used, like CDROM drives.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Slaves are just too much trouble. Even when they seem to work, you can
> > have silent data corruption that you don't notice until it's too late.
>
> This I have not experienced.

Balderdash! I have run master/slave combos for years. I currently manage over
50 pc's with every brand of drive and combo of drives imaginable in them. I
also provide support for an additional non-profit that numbers another 50+
PC's. Nearly all these machines have drives populating both master and slave
positions. I avoid putting critical hard drives on the same controller as the
CD-ROM, but that being said, most of these machines do mix CD-ROM's and HD's
- just not fast HD's, not system HD's, and not HD drives that get accessed
much more than the norm...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA