Desktop trouble?

Since today my desktop remains empty.  The top and bottom Gnome bars are
there but the desktop is dark blue without icons and wallpaper. No
reaction right clicks.  Nothing has changed.  All I can think of is that
the last time I had an icon for a ramdisk 0, which is not mounted now,
but also cd/dvd's come and go!

Any ideas?
Albert
--