Re: xorg.conf, or videocard, or ....

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 09:53 -0500, beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:13:57 -0800, Endymion wrote:
>
> > Try booting into run level 3 (at the bootloader press any key, then select
> > the kernel and then edit the boot commands, remove rhgb and put the number
> > 3).  Log in as root and then run "Xorg -configure".  That should generate
> > a fresh xorg.conf file based on your hardware and will probe the monitor
> > for the right settings.  Just move the new xorg.conf file to
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf (be sure to back up the old one just in case).
> > Hopefully this will fix everything for ya.
>
> Hmmmm.... I *think* I can do most of that; at any rate I can do "init 3"
> as root from within the GUI, if that will serve. Does editing the boot
> commands involve anything *but* putting 3 for rhgb? And where do I put it?
> I happen to detest rhgb, since I watch boot messages, and always go into a
> new install pronto and delete it -- so I'm not sure where it belongs,
> except at the end of a line partway down.

When booting, the first line that says it will boot XXX kernel in Y
seconds, simply press any key.
When the menu pops up the first entry is usually selected.  Simply press
the 'a' key to append to the kernel command line.  Edit that line and
remove the rhgb at the end and replace it with the number 3.
Now a simple press of "enter" and it will boot to run level 3.

> To see what would happen, I tried with another p2. I did su to root, "init
> 3", and Xorg -configure.

try it as  "system-config-display --reconfig"