Re: gdm fails to start

Andrzej Maciejewski wrote:

Does X start from a user logged in using runlevel 3 and using startx to launch X, or do you get the same error?

Jim

Hi Jim, after booting gdm does not starts but I can login from text console. Then I make startx and everything works. Probably I have made an error while upgrading the kernel. To make this I have to install newer version of udev. -Andrzej

--

It have a similar problem with an RHEL clone updated to to FC5 test2 that does not start the X server in runlevel 5 but works fine in runlevel 3 using startx. I did not investigate the problem much on this very unsupported system. I assume that something in runlevel 5 is amiss. Maybe a service is not loaded that is needed by gdm and runlevel 5 execution.

It is great that at least runlevel 3 and startx work for you. Did you disable any services that you though might not be used?

Jim

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.
- Andy Finkel, computer guy