Re: Why are these ports open in iptables on new FC4 install?

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 18:16 -0600, J. K. Cliburn wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > Looked through the release notes and did not see anything related to
> > ports 5353, 50, 51, or 631.
> >
> > Why is port 5353 open by default?  From searching around this appears to
> > have something to do with multi cast DNS which seems to be tied to Apple
> > iTunes.  I don't believe I installed anything that would need access to
> > Apple iTunes.
>
> mDNSResponder.  I removed the rule.
>

> > I also don't understand why ports 50 and 51 are open.  I don't plan on
> > setting up a VPN at the moment and I don't know why these would be open
> > by default on a new install.
>
> Dunno why.  I removed the rules.
>

> > I'm also wondering about port 631 being open by default.  I know this is
> > used for ipp printing but I have not setup this machine to provide print
> > services yet.
>
> This is the cups configuration web portal.  See http://127.0.0.1:631

Does the 631 port need to be open for this to be accessible over the
loop back address?

I have removed these as well.  The question was, is there a reason these
were opened up during a new install?  If there is not a reason then I
will file a bugzilla on this.  IMHO the firewall should not have any
ports by default open except for services the person installing the
system specifically selects to allow through.  Having anything open by
default means that lots of systems may have ports open with or without
any services listening on those ports without the knowledge of the
admin.