Re: can't get old perl installed

Anne Ramey <anner <at> blast.com> writes:

> I'm trying to install perl 5.6.1 on FC3 (64 bit) becuase I have a
> program one of the sites uses (gd chart) that will not build on any
> newer perl.  I've downloaded the rpm, but I get this:
>   rpm -ivh perl-5.6.1-36.1.73.i386.rpm
>
> I have cpan, etc installed for the current versions of perl.  I'm unsure
> how I can get the old versions without mucking up my 5.8.5 install.
> Pointers?  Does anyone else have gd-chart running on FC3?

It isn't possible to have perl-5.6.1 and perl-5.8.5 RPMs installed at the same
time.  You will either need to downgrade perl and everything that requires it.
This is likely not possible since lots of stuff in FC3 requires the more recent
version of Perl.

You could build and install perl 5.6.1 from source.  Then name the binary
/usr/local/bin/perl-5.6.1 and only have the site which needs the old version use
that perl.

What GDChart are you using?  A quick search on search.cpan.org shows GD::Chart
0.05 which has been updated in 2004.  This seems to be the Perl module for
interfacing with the GDChart library, http://www.fred.net/brv/chart/.  The
recent GDChart looks like it should build with newer libgd and the GD::Chart
module with recent Perl.

 - Ian