Re: gdm fails to start

Andrzej Maciejewski wrote:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Jim Cornette wrote:

Andrzej Maciejewski wrote:
Hi,
after the last two updates of kernel I had and have serious problems.
gdm fails to start and X reports that modules bitmap and pcidata cannot be
found. I have generate new xorg.conf using Xorg -configure but this does
not help. thanks for any help.
-Andrzej

Have you tried running system-config-display with the --reconfig option? You might need to drop to runlevel 3 to have good results.

Jim

I have drop to runlevel 3 and reconfigred display. It does not help; X
reprts the same error.
-Andrzej

I ran a search and it showed two config files for bitmap.
/etc/fonts/conf.d/no-bitmaps.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.d/yes-bitmaps.conf

A package called fontconfig provides these files.

I have modular X, but you should have a similar module named libpcidata.so

Sorry the program failed to get you up and running. I don't think that your problem is related to the configuration file for xorg. To me, it sounds like either X needs an update to be compatible with the kernel, the kernel needs to either provide something that was turned off, or something went wrong during the update process.

Does X start from a user logged in using runlevel 3 and using startx to launch X, or do you get the same error?

Jim

--
The Magic of Windows: Turns a 486 back into a PC/XT.