Nagios questions

So I've recently set up Nagios for the first time on a test server here at home. We use Big Brother at work and I want to see how Nagios compares. It's my understanding that in order to monitor parameters like, for example, disk and process status on remote machines, I need to install nsca or nrpe, which are Nagios add-ons that run on the remote machines. Can someone on the list tell me which of these two are preferred above the other, and why? Is it better to run the add-on under xinetd or standalone? Also, do you prefer Nagios to Big Brother, and why? Under what circumstances would you ripout a working instance Big Brother and replace it en masse with Nagios?

Thanks,
Jay