Xine doesn't work in first window...

I find that when I start xine from a command line, it often
doesn't work in the sense that it does open a window, and it
does play sound, but the window is just a pure blue color with
no video in it. But if I let that run in the background to
completion, and start another (again from command line) then
the new window plays properly. This is mystifying to me.
Would someone please explain? Google failed to turn up
anything looking like this, so I guess it's some interaction
with FC2/GNOME and xine.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.