Re: (fedora) Re: how to setup rsh(d) on FC4

On 2/9/06, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen <joukj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ports 512-514 are open on both sides. The machines are on the same local
> network without any firewall apart from their own ones. portmapper is
> running on both sides. So what netfilter can be in the way?
>
> The only thing I'm not sure about is selinux (I do not fully understand the
> configuration, which is still "default" on this machine) Can that in the way?
>
> Or do I need other ports than 512-514?

Last night I installed rsh-server and activated it in xinetd.  I got
"No route to host" on the client side until I shut down iptables on
the server.  I didn't investigate to see which individual port or
ports needed to be unfiltered.  After dropping the firewall, I got
"connection refused" on the client side after a timeout period, but I
didn't pursue it; I just assumed I've got the rshd/xinetd server
misconfigured.

You might try running ethereal on the client to see what port it's
trying to contact.

I have SELinux disabled altogether, so that wasn't causing the
connection refused or the no route to host.