Re: (fedora) Re: how to setup rsh(d) on FC4

John Summerfied <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 8-FEB-2006 00:08:28.47

>Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I try to get the rsh command working to a FC4 system
>
>The mandatory question, "Why?"
>
>rsh is inherently insecure. For most purposes ssh is supperior (and not
>just for security), so why use rsh?

I know, but...
   I want to setup an automated procedure on my openVMS machine to perform
tasks on the FC4 machine. rsh on VMS allows me to give username/password on
the command line. ssh does not allow me to do that and when I try to read
the password from anythink else than the keyboard it crashes. (I do not like
to sit 24 hours a day at my computer).
  I will try to do this only for machines on the the same local network
(actually on the same switch panel) so that the big advantage off the
encryption of ssh versus rsh is not a big issue.

                  Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  joukj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd