Re: hard drive problems

On Monday 06 February 2006 21:30, zanecb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Zane C. B. wrote:
>>> hdb: lost interrupt
>>> hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
>>> DataRequest } ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>>> hda: drive not ready for command
>>> hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>>> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>>> ide0: reset: success
>>>
>>> Any ideas what is happening or suggestions for testing for what is
>>> happening?
>>>
>>> smartctl -H /dev/hda and smartctl -l error /dev/hda show the drive
>>> as being good.
>>
>> Download and run the manufacturer's diagnostics tools (full barrage
>> of tests) to eliminate hard drive faults first. Then we can see
>> whether we're looking at a controller issue?
>
>Actually trying to advoid this so I don't have to take the machine out
> of production.

If its indeed that important, then DO IT NOW while you still have data
that can be recovered when it does curl up its toes. If the data is
valuable, then production must understand that their baby needs a fresh
diaper.  If they can't do that, then I assume you can get an overtime
approval to check it after hours?  But by then, it may well be too
late.  IBM published some papers a few years ago about how they were
attempting to arrive at some sort of a meaningfull indicator of
impending drive failure, but their best work at the time could give
only a 20 minute warning, this in the heyday of deathstars. Apply
Moores Law, and it might be 8 hours today.  Emphasis on the might...

I trust that you do have backups?  Don't you?

Common Sense...  Why is it so uncommon?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: