Re: rpmdb crashed, how to repair? [FC3]

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 06:50:30PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >You subject does not seem to have any relationship to what you say in
> >your posting.
> >But incase you do what to repair the rpm database you do it by:
> >rm  /var/lib/rpm/__db*
> >rpm --rebuilddb
>
> The original poster referred to trying the above steps. I don't see any
> references regarding the 'rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*' before running a
> rebuild on the database. I don't recall removing the entries helping out
> much before. The continuation was mainly referring to detecting which
> rpms were not cleaned up after install and left entries in the database.
> Out of curiosity myself, I'll see what happens when the
> /var/lib/rpm/__db* files are removed and the rpmdb is rebuilt with 'rpm
> --rebuilddb'

Well the /var/lib/rpm/__db* files are the database you are rebuilding
which we are assuming are screwed up. So it makes some sensae to
remove the old database before you rebuild it. This has always worked
for me when rpm -qa says an rpm is installed which rpm -e says is not.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484