Re: How to print man pages on letter size paper

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:05:53AM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:43:45AM -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> >
> >>When I print a man page by using
> >>       man -t foo | lpr
> >>it comes out formatted for A4 size paper.  How can I force
> >>the output to be for letter size (8-1/2 by 11 in) paper?
> >>
> >>This doesn't look as easy as it ought to be.
> >>
> >>jon
> >
> >There seem to be two possibilities. Go into the cups web interface and
> >change the options of your default printer to letter and not A4.
> >
> >Alternately use mpage in place of lpr and set the page size with the -b
> >option.
>
> I wouldn't expect either to work especially well as the man command is
> producing postscript for A4 paper.
>
> Best solution is for USA to conform to world standards:-)
>
> Best workaround, read /etc/profile.d/lang.sh for hints on what can be
> set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n

Well let me say this about that:
1. man produces text not postscript, also cups printing can print
postscript and presumable change its page size.
2. mpage takes postscript as one of its input formats.
So I would expect that both methods should work.

Many pages make a thick book.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University