Re: Problems with GRUB

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 03:51:45PM -0500, Glenn Tober wrote:
> I have an ASUS P5GDC mother board with SATA drives and the usual other
> stuff.  A while back I successfully installed WXP and FC3 and ran both using
> a GRUB boot prompt without any problems whatsoever.  Recently I got the FC4
> disk set and installed it without problems. Well, afterwards, there are few
> drivers and such you need and in the process of getting these, and I think
> doing something to grub.conf which I should not have, the whole system boot
> went south.  I could not recover it with the rescue disk.
>

> OK, so next I restored WXP using the fixmbr utility, and WXP is fine.  I
> have now reinstalled both FC3 and FC4 several times and grub does not
> install properly in all cases.  There is some screen activity in place of
> the "grub stage1 loading' but there is no dual boot choice of any kind and
> no evidence whatsoever that the stage1 boot routine is actually on the MBR
> and trying to load.
>

> I have a root partition which I choose not to reformat, and a /usr partition
> which I always reformat during each FC install.  I am doing a plain vanilla
> installation of a default workstation. I choose the grub boot loader option
> the same way each time.  If it is not clear, what worked fine one time
> before for both FC3 and FC4 is now broke and I am stumped.  Grub
> documentation seems hard to find and what to do next?  I have heard others
> mention a GRUB restore option on the FC install menus and I cannot find such
> a thing.  I am reluctant to reformat the root partition because of my home
> directory, but why should that matter anyway?  HELP!
Try this after correcting you grub.conf.
Boot into rescue mode from CD 1 or the rescue disk. Your root linux
partition will mount on /mnt/sysimage.
Run: chroot /mnt/sysimage then the following commands:
grub
grub> root (hd0,0)   <-- this depends on which disk and in which
				partition your root is.
grup> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

That should fix your grub boot sector.