Re: FC4 - Cannot Install Fedora

Hoffmann wrote:
> I took a look in my BIOS. I noticed that if I use
> PATA, I can use my CDROM (and consequently try to
> install Fedora from CDs, but I am getting the error:
>
>  "An error has occurred -  no valid device were found
> on which to creat new file systems. Please check your
> hardware for the cause of this problem".
>
> If I use SATA or BOTH, the CD driver seems to be
> "gone".
>
> How can I make the CD driver works with SATA, in order
> to try to install Fedora with SATA?

What sort of chipset do you have? What brand motherboard? If you don't
know, what make of computer is it, and what processor?

SATA is still relatively new, and the standards for SATA adapters have
not yet settled down. There's a chance that either the install CD
doesn't support your adapter, or you need certain work-arounds.

Incidentally, depending on the motherboard and the brand of the machine,
the CD drive may be PATA, not SATA. From a physical point of view, SATA
and PATA are completely different beasts, but some SATA adapters look
rather like traditional PATA (≈ IDE).

I don't know whether you'd find
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html helpful.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | those of my employer, are not necessarily mine, and in