Re: Strange things at start-up

On Saturday 04 February 2006 08:31, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> Antonio Montagnani wrote / ha scritto on /il 04/02/2006 11:24:
> > after recent upgrades (I mean latest of yesterday), at start-up before
> > the login screen, system freezes and I get an arrow on a grey screen.
> > If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, system starts fine and any user can log
> > in the usual screen, but I can see for a short time the no-graphical
> > login screen with small characters.
> > Furthermore while at boot I have normal characters (I do not any
> > graphiccal interface at boot) when I stop the machine characters have
> > become small
> > Everything was o.k. until this morning when I re-booted the machine
> > (no-reboot yesterday after upgrades)
>
> video card is ATI9000, no problem at all with Linux: shall I need to
> post any log file (which one?)?
>
> --
>  Antonio
> Mail by Thunderbird 1.5 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.5
> Linux Fedora Core 4 on Maxdata Eco 3200
> Linux user number 362582
> http://www.linuxsaronno.net
> http://www.montagnani.org
> http://www.campingmonterosa.com
I have had similar issues on shutdown where, on occasion, the init script
output is compressed (very small) and at the top center of the screen.

My card is; nVidia Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro] (rev 11)

My issue appears to be the video card not switching modes. This would be a
kernel bug (for the driver module?) not receiving or changing video states.

Fired this off to give you some thought.
--
Some people have convictions.
Some people have opinions