Re: Remote code and compile with GUI from Windows to Linux?

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 11:28 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> On 2/3/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 01:05 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>         > Hey guys,
>         >
>         > I have a multi-programmer project coming up. The application
>         will be
>         > compiled, run and tested on a remote Linux box. I myself use
>         FC4 + KDE
>         > + KDevelop, but the others with whom I will be working using
>         Windows +
>         > Visual Studio 2k3. Are there any higher level (for lack of a
>         better
>         > term) ways for them to code their share of the project from
>         Windows
>         > besides Putty + Vim/Emacs ?
>         >
>         > Your suggestions will b e much appreciated.
>         >
>         > Arthur
>         >
>         > --
>
> I hadn't considered either such an approach. Was originally hoping a
> Windows program that was up to task. But this, this sounds good . . .
>

>         I had a similar problem with my own development team.
>         I did the following:
>         1. I configured multiple VNC account on the target FC4
>         machine. All
>         accounts were configured to use KDE.
>         2. I created an SMB share for each user.
>
> This I don't get, if you are doing VNC,  what is the use of the SMB
> share per user?

To allow them to easily move files from their Windows machines (from
both MSDev and VSS) to the Linux machine.

>         3. I installed vnc-client on each Windows machine, and
>         configure Windows
>         to use the SMB share.
>         4. I gave them a short how-to on how use to VNC,
>         Kate/Anjuta/KDevelop
>         and Makefiles.
>         5. I create a smart generic make file for the project, making
>         it easy
>         for them to add/remove files to the main project.
>
> This will be a C++ project (mainly) how does your smart generic
> makefile help the project? My experience with makefiles are limited to
> what KDevelop generates for me.

KDevelop generates huge autoconf projects (which generate makefiles)
which I dislike.
If you're fluent with GCC Make you shuold create a simple generic
makefile that Windows users can easily modify to their needs without the
need to know what they are doing.

I'm writing a certain kernel-based component which interface with my
team-mate's C++ cross platform user-land server. The same generic
makefile builds both components. (I'll port it to Windows once I have
some free time, helping them dump the MSDev "solution" (*spit!!*)
completely.)

>         Now, that they are slowing getting into Linux, I plan to
>         migrate the VNC
>         to an X-server. (Either X-win or Exceed) and give each of them
>         his own
>         Linux machine to manage.
>
> I'll have to lookup X-win ad Exceed, if at least for future
> reference.

In my experience, out of the list of X servers above, exceed is - by far
- the best solution.
Problem is, it'll cost you an arm and a lag :(
For now, VNC works, so we can wait...

Gilboa