tmpwatch apparently not doing anything

I've seen a few people mention that /tmp/ files don't seem to be
removed, periodically, as they're supposed to, and I notice the same
thing.

This is my /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch file (below), as set up by the
installation (I haven't modified it in any way, at any time).

----- begin paste -----
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch -x /tmp/.X11-unix -x /tmp/.XIM-unix -x /tmp/.font-unix       -x /tmp/.ICE-unix -x /tmp/.Test-unix 240 /tmp
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch 720 /var/tmp
for d in /var/{cache/man,catman}/{cat?,X11R6/cat?,local/cat?}; do
    if [ -d "$d" ]; then
        /usr/sbin/tmpwatch -f 720 $d
    fi
done
----- end paste -----

(The first line is very long.  There's seven lines of text, in total.)

Notice that the script doesn't begin with a "#!/bin/sh" line, or any
other type of #! line.  I wonder if this is the cause?  Do CRON scripts
require it, or is something presumed in its absence?  I notice all the
other scripts in that directory begin with one.

I've added one to see if it helps, but I've got a long wait before the
script can run.  And after having a look through the /tmp/ directory,
I've ended up modifying the last access times.  I'll copy the script
into the crond.hourly directory to try and speed up any results.

I read messages from the public lists.