Re: RAID 5 with different size disks

On Friday 03 February 2006 12:11 pm, Jerel Harwood wrote:
> Depending on what you are using to create the RAID5 (software vs.
> hardware.) It is possible to create a raid5 with the disk configuration you
> spec, but due to the nature of raid5 you will be wasting massive amounts of
> disk space as the max amount of disk space it will use per disk is directly
> relational to the smallest sized disk you use.  Thus it will only use 9GB
> of the 36, 9GB of the 40 and 9GB of the 80GB drives each.
>
> You will only get 4 x 9GB = 36GB of disk space (disk 5 is used for Parity)
>
> Instead you could mirror (RAID1) the 2 80GB drives and put your critical
> data on them.

Ok.
If I setup the mirror using software raid, and then later my OS disk fails,
will the new installation of Linux be able to recognize the existing mirror,
thus the data in it?

Or should I just install all OS in the mirror?
Thanks you,
http://linux2.arinet.org
13:03:54 up 5:10, 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 GNU/Linux