Re: process memory limitations

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:17:33AM +0200, Oded Maimon wrote:
> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:17:33 +0200
> From: Oded Maimon <oded.maimon@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: process memory limitations
>
> Hi,
>
> I've a question about per process memory allocation limitation.
>
> if i've a 32bit machine, with RHEL 4, what are the limitation of memory
> that each process can allocate?
>

> if i've a 64bit machine, with RHEL 4, and i'm using a 32bit program,
> what are the limitation of memory that each process can allocate?

Allocate, malloc(?), sbrk(), heap, stack....
What programming language?

In general an signed int that lets you move +/_ inside
something will put a 2GB limit on common objects and
common programming practices.

If you are concerned about bounds you need to write a test case
that explores exactly what matters to you.

Search engines like Google are your friend.

https://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/rhel/details/limits/

Tells me:
Maximum x86 per-process virtual address space
	Version 2.1 	Version 3 	Version 4
	3GB	 	Approx 4GB 	Approx 4GB

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l