Re: file system overhead

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> First make sure you are accounting for the disk space being
> sold in 1000^3 GB instead of 1024^3.

I did, but it certainly is worth repeating.

> Then add back the swap space that FC4 puts in a logical volume
> instead of a physical partition that you'd notice with fdisk.

Bingo!  I was naively expecting the swap space to be a normal file and
show up in df(1).

    $ swapon -s
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01         partition       102399992       0      -1

Crunching the numbers again I see that >97% is now accounted for.
Good enough.

Now to figure out how to lower the swap allocation...

Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I know the maximum size of LVM volumes can depend on their chunk size.
> Maybe you are using the wrong chunk size in this particular LVM volume or
> something.

Chunk size (and perhaps lowering the number of inodes) is something
else I guess I need to look into.  From "df -i" I notice that only 1%
of the inodes are used.

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html