Re: Red Hat Commits To MIT's $100 Laptop

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 14:38 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> taharka wrote:
> > Just to clarify, the entire m0n0wall system is a little over 5 MB & will
> > fit (with room to spare) on a 8 MB CF. However, 32 MB is the smallest CF
> > that my local drug store caries & probably cheaper than going on a turd
> > hunt for 8 MB CF ;-) Gee!!, "Why when I were a lad" we wouldn't be
> > having this discussion ;-)
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what is a CF?

That would be Compact Flash ;-) What's great is, you can get an IDE > CF
adaptor & boot the computer from CF :-)

> The first computer I programmed was an IBM 1401. We used machine
> language (as in hold down "multi-punch" on the card punch machine,
> and type enough characters to get exactly the bits needed punched
> out of the card). That was in, umm, 1969 or so. The first actual
> machine I programmed used plugboards. Of course, it wasn't a
> "computer".

Yep, I come from the punch card era (circa 1968) myself ;-) Had loads of
fun punching out cards to print out ASCII art on Greenbar paper :-)

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.