Re: Finding files containing 'string'

Paul wrote:

>>> Interesting gotcha with grep... doesn't look in files beginning with .
>>> when used like this.

>> Huh?
>>
>> $ mkdir testdir
>> $ echo This is a test > testdir/.testfile
>> $ grep -i -r -l this testdir
>> testdir/.testfile

>     Methinks Andy is seeing the likes of
>
> $ mkdir testdir
> $ echo This is a test > testdir/.testfile
> $ cd testdir
> $ grep -i -r -l this *
> grep: No match.

Yep youthinks right.  The problem is in the glob expansion rather than
grep then because the first recipe does find the .file for me too.  Hm
that makes a lot of sense because I noticed this when I saw grep was not
descending into ~/.blah/ when given

cd ~
grep stuff * -R

of course

echo *

doesn't show .files either.

>     My favorite..
>
> find . -print | xargs grep -i <string>
>
>     Slower, but in my experince, pretty bulletproof.

Time to retrain the old fingers :-)

-Andy