Re: Red Hat Commits To MIT's $100 Laptop

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
On 2/1/06, taharka <res00vl8@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Red Hat commits to MIT's $100 laptop

It also wants open-source developers to help slim down Fedora Core as
part of the effort

unbuntu fits into roughly 1.6GB disk space.
redhat 9 fit into 1.57GB disk space

so ... Whats the real issue here?

[snip]

You apparently didn't bother actually to *read* the article.
Helps actually to read it before commenting on it.

From the article...

But the problem isn’t so much recoding Fedora so it's a “hacked-up,
skinny” Linux -- even though that wouldn't be difficult to do, said
Evans; the problem is making sure that it's optimized for the laptop’s
nonstandard, almost whimsical specifications. To keep costs down and
make it more durable, the laptop will eschew a hard drive in favor of
1GB of flash memory, on which the operating system, other software and
all local data must be stored.

I'd think this also means no ext2 or ext3 FS. Or any other
FS which keeps track of last access time.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.