Re: belkin wireless g+ desktop card support?

jack wallen wrote:
On Sunday January 29 2006 3:59 pm, Neil Cherry wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
On Saturday 28 Jan 2006 23:19, John Summerfied wrote:
broadcom is a great brand to avoid. Last Great Step Forward I head
from the broadcom reverse-engineers that they had fully documented
the interfaces and were ready to begin the Next Great Step. I got the
impression usable code was some way off.
My Acer laptop has a Broadcom wireless connection, using ipw2200.  It
works out-of-the-box with Mandriva.  I haven't tried it with FC4 yet,
but I see no reason why not.
If your using the ipw2200 then you've got an Intel mini-PCI card
in your Acer. My laptop has a broadcom chip (can't use the ipw2200
care because it's an AMD, grr) and I have to use ndiswrapper. I may
try the reverse engineered driver later when I have more time.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

the machine i'm working on is a desktop - not a laptop. so this seems to limit the number of cards that are supported.

Check out this site, which may be useful:

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

Don't expect 802.11n or pre-n stuff, but it may give you and idea
of what is available. Wireless is the one area that hits Linux
(and I guess any of the OSS) pretty hard. It has to do with the
fact that the consumer wireless stuff doesn't need a license
at least up to certain power level. Once you surpass that power
level licenses are required. Most chips have software controlled
power levels and the the FCC has mandated that no consumer can
have control of a software controlled power. That could let them
use the consumer product where a license is required. I would
guess the the EU has the same problem.