Re: can't login as root at the graphical login prompt

Mohammed El-Afifi wrote:
>     I've installed the fedora core 4, recently. I can login as a
>     normal user but when I try to login as root at the graphical login
>     prompt, I receive the error message "Root login is not allowed.".
>     May I be missing some package(s) or some configuration?

You've received some advice on *how* to login as root, graphically.

May I ask *why* you want to log in as root, graphically? This isn't
Windows -- it's never necessary here, and a click in the wrong place can
do a lot more damage as root.

Most graphical programs that are likely to need root privileges will ask
for the password when they start up. For the rest, it's a lot more sense
to go into a terminal,
su -
to a root prompt, and run just the program you need from there.

Or configure sudo, if you're going to do this regularly.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "This thing is bigger than the both of us!"
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Oh Tom! It's ... it's an elephant!"