Re: reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 20:46 +0100, umberto rossi wrote:
> Actually it's in /etc/mtab that I found something:
>
> /dev/hdb1 /home/berto/ubik vfat rw 0 0
>
> But that's quite different from the syntax of the lines in fstab... for
> example:
>
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Not really, it's the same sort of thing.  Except rather than "auto"
detecting the filesystem type, it's written in what it already is
(vfat); and the other options are mostly "defaults" other than
specifically saying read/write (rw).

Read the fstab man file, and you can work out what the options are for.

> mistakes in the fstab file can be rather dangerous, so I need precise
> indications.

Not really.  It's more of a risk if you modify the mount points that you
need to use the PC, rather than extra ones for your own purposes.  But
it's not too hard to recover from any mistakes that you make.  Backup
the file first, to be sure.

I read messages from the public lists.