Re: pxeboot windows xp clients from fedora

Rudolf Kastl wrote:

2006/1/26, Skunk Worx <skunkworx@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
is it possible to pxeboot a running windows xp image (not an
installation image) with pxeboot and linux/fedora?

i've been trying to start by serving a windows boot floppy through tftp
and following the PXELINUX howtos but i always get a "System Disk Error"
rather than "A:\" (which I do get booting the floppy in the drive on the
target client rather than using pxe).

i ran across this project :

http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects/storage/iboot/

...which uses something like iScsi and an array of disk images to do
something kind of interesting, actually boots running clients and allows
them to modify the image over the network.

anyway most of the howto's for pxeboot/pxelinux seem to address only
remote installations of windows products...i need to boot actual running
clients...with full windows XP, if possible.

TIA,
SW

i am pretty sure that cant work (i have not much clue about windows though).

try putting a windows xp installed hd from one pc to another...
chances are big that it doesent work properly... if not even that
works... how would a network boot work?

just some thoughts...

regards,
rudolf kastl

My school has the media center setup with all diskless network boot clients. It works pretty slick, but I don't know how they do it. Sorry that I can't help with specifics, but it goes to show that Windows boots are possible.

Justin Willmert