Re: eclipse & java 5

On 1/25/06, Hoffmann <oasf2004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- Weiqi Gao <weiqigao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Are you running the i586 version or the amd64
> > version of the Sun JDK?
>
> I have installed the last version of Java, and it is
> working perfectly! My only problem is with Eclipse,
> that doesn't work even with the previous Java 1.4.2.
> [My processor is an Intel Pentium D (Due Core) Em64T].

My understanding of Pentium Em64T is that it uses the AMD64
architecture rather than the IA64 architecture.  Therefore you should
have used the amd64 version of the Sun JDK or JRE (The one labeled
"Linux AMD64 self-extracting file", near the bottom of the download
page.)

If you are using the "Linux self-extracting file" or i586 version, you
might run into "32-bit JDK can't load 64-bit Eclipse libraries"
problem.

It's just my guess.

> For instructions about how to install the last version
> of Java on Fedora Core 4, just follow the link shown
> below:
>
> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#Java
>
> Hoffmann
> PS: Notice that by following that link, you can use
> either use the last  version of Java or the previous
> one. All you need to do is either enable one or the other.

Thanks for the link.  I have been using JPackage for over a year on my
FC3 box (http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/2004/11/23/an_introduction_to_jpackage_org.html)
now and am very pleased with JPackage.org.  So I'll probably go the
JPackage.org route when I feel the need for the Sun JDK.

--
Weiqi Gao (高为奇)
weiqigao@xxxxxxxxx